Multnomah County District Attorney dropped a bomb on all law abiding residents of Portland by announcing today they will no longer prosecute rioters charged with rioting. I know, you are curious….how the heck would anything like this be considered acceptable? And we do not have an answer. It is dumb and is a direct attack on residents and police officers who are looking for law and order to be restored.
According to the press conference held today, DA Schmidt says his office will no longer enforce the following charges:
- Interfering with a peace officer or parole and probation officer
- Disorderly conduct in the second degree
- Criminal trespass in the first and second degree
- Escape in the third degree
- Riot – Unless accompanied by a charge outside of this list.
“As prosecutors, we acknowledge the depth of emotion that motivates these demonstrations and support those who are civically engaged through peaceful protesting,” Schmidt,in a statement. “We will undermine public safety, not promote it, if we do not take action to bring about immediate change.”
While DA Schmidt says he does not want this to be thought of as a “free pass” to riot, that is exactly what he is giving rioters in Portland.
The DA said that when a person is charged with a misdemeanor or felony crime that causes only financial harm during a protest, there will now be a presumption that the individual will be offered conditional dismissal after restitution is paid to the victim. Crimes in this category include:
- Criminal mischief in the second and third degree when the value is under $1,000
- Theft in the first, second and third degree when the value is under $1,000 or when the theft is committed during a riot
- Burglary in the second degree if combined with any criminal mischief or theft allegation.
This is a breaking story and will be updated as new information becomes available
Below is a video discussing this. Sorry for the strong language.