ALLENTOWN, Penn. – Every ambilance in the town of Allentown, Pennsylvania, was in-service transporting twenty-seven children and staff at Happy Smiles Learning Center after they became ill in what is being reported as carbon monoxide poisoning.
The incident was reported Tuesday morning in the 400 block of Wabash Street.
Emergency crews responded to a 911 call for an unconscious child.
Captain John Christopher of the Allentown Fire Department said when firefighters and EMTs arrived on the scene, monitors on their bags alerted them of the carbon monoxide leak, and the center was completely evacuated.
Authorities said a total of 27 people, including children, were taken to four hospitals in the Lehigh Valley. They are all listed in stable condition.
WFMZ-TV reports every ambulance in Allentown is in use for this incident.
The incident was reported as a level 1 mass casualty incident, meaning local emergency responders and hospitals may be overwhelmed by the number of patients.
The Allentown fire chief said other fire departments and emergency responders are assisting with aid.
UGI Utilities crews are on scene to investigate the leak.